Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Alphabet Challenge

Let me start by saying I cannot take credit for this idea.  I have been tracking my video game collection and completion progress over at the fantastic Backloggery web site.  I highly recommend the site for anyone looking to keep track of not only the video games they own but how often they actually play through them.  The creators of the site do regular live stream events, and the community has a lot of great people in it, which leads me to this idea I found while browsing some of the other collections listed on the site.

I saw a common theme on a handful of user pages.  It seemed as though some of the players were taking the alphabet A through Z and picking a game out of their collection to play and beat based on the title matching the specific letter they were on.  For instance you would count Gears of War as a [G] title.  My understanding is this is a creative challenge to encourage people to play through games they might otherwise not be playing.  It also encourages putting a dent in that particular player's backlog (for my specific backlog you can go here).  After some consideration, I realized I lose focus on games I am playing too often, and this would be a fun undertaking to keep me disciplined.  As a result, you can find my personal "Alphabet Challenge" below.

I only have games I currently own listed, and these are all games I have not yet finished previously.  All of the games are console games or PC games that I spent money on or was gifted.  The only empty letters are Q and Y because I could not find any game titles in my collection that start with those letters surprisingly (I may have some legacy games I am missing, but regardless I pulled from the consoles I currently have out and operating).


Alphabet Challenge 2013
[A] - Assault Heroes (360)
[B] - Bayonetta (360)
[C] - Crimson Shroud (3DS)
[D] - Darksiders 2 (Wii U)
[E] - Epic Mickey (Wii)
[F] - FTL (Steam)
[G] - Gears of War 2 (360)
[H] - Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy(Steam)
[I] - ilomilo (360)
[J] - Jamestown (Steam)
[K] - Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
[L] - Little King's Story (Wii)
[M] - Megaman ZX Advent (DS)
[N] - No More Heroes (Wii)
[O] - Odin Sphere (PS2)
[P] - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Darkness (DS)
[R] - Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)
[S] - Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
[T] - Toki Tori (Steam)
[U] - Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom (360)
[V] - Vagrant Story (PS)
[W] - Wizorb (Steam)
[X] - Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
[Z] - Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Wii)

I do not have a deadline to complete this list, but obviously I hope to finish these games this calendar year.  I still plan on playing games not on the list, but at least one or two of these games needs to be underway in parallel.  I do not plan on going in order, since I am actively playing a few of the titles listed already (specifically Crimson Shroud for 3DS and Wizorb on Steam).  I also reserve the right to exchange a game on the list for another title of the same letter if the original proves to be a drag.

Wish me luck!
- Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment